Yesterday’s recap: Mike’s early return home from the cottage set in motion a whole series of wonderful events. We shared a brownie and caught up. Made dinner TOGETHER. Pasta, of course. 🙂 Hung out on the couch watching THE BUSH YEARS for nearly an hour. Took a short walk down to Queen and Roncesvalles. Chatted about labour issues and politics on our 30 minute STREETCAR ride to the movie theatre. Grabbed some JUNK FOOD and watched Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist.
During some point in the movie, Norah tells Nick that he is her “music soulmate”. Immediately after, Mike turned to make eye contact with me, pointed at himself, then at me and then back at himself – as if to say, “that’s like us baby.” So that got me thinking… What’s on Mike & Kristle’s Infinite Playlist?
- Hiding Place (Serena Ryder)
- Baby It’s Cold Outside (Ray Charles & Ella Fitzgerald)
- 1 2 3 4 (Feist)
- Rockefeller Skank (Fatboy Slim)
- Orange Sky (Alexi Murdoch)
- Freebird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
- Sunday Morning (No Doubt)
- Why Can’t I? (Liz Phair)
- All These Things That I’ve Done (The Killers)
- What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve (Ella Fitzgerald w/Count Basie Orchestra)
- Final Frontier (Anita Baker)
- You Don’t Know Me (Michael Buble)
- Clocks (Coldplay)
- I Will Follow You Into the Dark (Death Cab for Cutie)
So that’s a bit of a sample. Like Michael Cera’s character in the movie, I love to make mixes for people complete with my own cover art. The artwork above is actually from a mix I made for Mike after our European “holiday” last summer. It’s a poster image of a photo taken by my brother of Mike and I on a beach in Cascais, Portugal as he carried me into the water. Very romantic in theory. Extremely uncomfortable in reality when you have cold, wet sand in all sorts of places sand should never be.
Back to today: No internet. No internet means no email and no phone (since mine is hooked up to a DSL line). So I set up office at Tinto Coffeehouse where I could access free Wi-Fi. I have arrived home now craving soup. It’s turned windy and cold here. A few minutes outside and I get chilled to the bone. So I NEED soup! This is what I plan to make – Spicy Sweet Potato & Apple Soup. I created this recipe in a Rachael Ray fashion – I don’t have any measurements/amounts listed. I just throw in what looks to be about right. So GOOD LUCK to you.
Spicy Sweet Potato & Apple Soup
- 4 small-ish sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Approx an inch of ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Vegetable broth and water
- 1 big apple (I used Honeycrisp because they’re big and juicy), peeled and chopped
- Approx 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp or more thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and ginger in olive oil. Add cinnamon (stick), sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Pour over with 1 part stock and 1 part water. (This is a pureed soup so add only as much as you like to create the desired consistency. Just don’t add too much or it will be all runny.) Cover pot.
- Once potatoes are cooked, add chopped apple. Remove cinnamon stick, if used. Puree using hand-held food processor or blender. If using a blender, you may want to add the curry paste first so that it will get the benefit of the blending.
- If using hand-held, puree first then add coconut milk and thai curry paste and puree again. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I like to cook a cup of rice (brown is my favourite) and dump that on top of the soup once I’ve ladled it into the bowl. It makes the soup more of a meal – very hearty. Sounds yummy so I’d better get to it!